Cyrus IMAP ; case studies, success stories, ... I need them

Paul M Fleming pfleming at siumed.edu
Thu Jan 9 12:32:41 EST 2003

We've been using Cyrus IMAP since 1998 version 1.5.19. We just recently
upgraded to 2.1.11 and couldn't be happier. We do have several folks who
use Outlook as an IMAP client for email and the Exchange native
calendar/groupware features. I'm told integration does suffer slightly
in this setup -- institutionally we use Steltor/Oracle CorporateTime for
calendaring.

We support 3000 users using a cluster of 4 backend machines and 3 front
end machines. (frontends are load balanced crudely via Round Robin DNS,
the backends are balanced by where we create mailboxes) Concurrent
logins hover at 350-450 - we have spiked to 10 logins/second without
problems. We adopted the clustering setup for performance and
availability reasons and are VERY glad we did it this way. We can
increase our capacity without downtime or user notification -- we've
done it several times.  Our system uses Kerberos as the backend
authentication system. We use LDAP to route mail within the cluster --
via sendmail ldap routing. Cyrus is an excellent performer -- but I
would encourage you to do some testing before deploying a large
installation. Our pre deployment testing (using
http://www.etestinglabs.com/benchmarks/svrtools/email/t1intro.asp?visitor=X)
helped us tune our IO subsystems for better performance (use Hardware
RAID). It also uncovered some additional performance issues: We found:

	IO IO IO -- Cyrus is all about IO. Pay alot of attention here. At least
on PC class gear hardware RAID w/ cache is almost a requirement in any
decent size install. We used software raid for 3 years -- 3 painful
years.
	LMTP seems to work best with a limit of 10 processes due to BDB locking
on the deliverdb.

Our internet based inbound delivery is handled by 4 different machines
doing LDAP routing, mimedefang and spamassassin. Our internal inbound
SMTP handling is handled by the imap front-ends. We have just started
using Sieve but it appears to work great. Our webmail interface (IMP) is
on yet another machine.

The backend servers
	Base Box is
http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/SUPERServer/SuperServer6021H.htm
	PIII 1Ghz
	1GB RAM
	Mylex 352 RAID w/ BBM and 32Mb
	4 - 37Gb U160 Seagate Drives

The front-end machines: (currently run custom proxy code -- switching to
CMU murder soon)
	PIII 1Gz
	512Mb RAM
	Single 18Gb U160 Drive

You can read my original (OLD) paper on our cluster at (predates CMU
murder I think)
http://www.siumed.edu/~pfleming/development/email/

One of these days I'll get the current setup documented.

Paul Fleming
SIU School of Medicine
Springfield IL