Problem with cyrus and deleting a message with a virus.

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 21 16:45:07 EST 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Mark London wrote:

> I'm not messing with it, uvscan is doing it.  Is there a better software
> alternative that will delete viruses on the server?  Are we the only people
> using cyrus that are running virus scanning software on the server?

Run a scanner as a part of your MTA, and don't let the messages get
delivered to cyrus in the first place.

Programs such as mimedefang provide ways to do this.

> Btw, I would think cyrus should be able to handle the simple case of a
> missing single file.  I should be able to delete a message for which the
> message file is already missing.  We're not talking about a complex
> database file structure here.  It's a single file with a single message.

Why is it any different from a database?  Just because the mailstore is
spread between multiple files and an index doesn't mean that one part can
be tossed away needlessly.  A mailstore is just that... a database.

If you deleted the data file for a mysql database, but left the index file
around, would you expect it to still work perfectly?

-Rob