Problem with cyrus and deleting a message with a virus.

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Tue Jan 21 16:50:12 EST 2003

Mark London wrote:

>I'm not messing with it, uvscan is doing it.  Is there a better software
>alternative that will delete viruses on the server?  Are we the only people
>using cyrus that are running virus scanning software on the server?

I think most people scanning their mail do so before it is stored in the
filesystem.

>Btw, I would think cyrus should be able to handle the simple case of a missing
>single file.  I should be able to delete a message for which the message file
>is already missing.  We're not talking about a complex database file structure
>here.  It's a single file with a single message.

How far should the server go assuming it knows the reason why some
unexpected condition exists?  Should it happily ignore a missing
/etc/cyrus.conf and assume default settings?  Should it assume /var/imap
ran out of disk space because there were log files it should silently
clean up for you?

I imagine it wouldn't be very difficult to hack the source so that
whenever it tried to open a message file that didn't exist, it could
create a message that says it was removed by virus scanning and then
open that file, but that would have to be something you want to run -- I
wouldn't want that in the version I was running and I doubt such a hack
would get accepted into the codebase.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931