Conversion/Migration

Peter Lawler green_eggs_and_spam at six-by-nine.com.au
Tue Jan 28 17:17:19 EST 2003

Peter Lawler wrote:
> Hi!
> I am aware this question has been asked several times before, so please
> go easy on me.

OK, thanks to those who replied. I've gone this far:
http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/mb2md/

It's a pretty neato script, although I haven't tested the version
released yesterday. It converts just as we want.

Now, the trick after the conversion that the new files are in, say
~/Maildir/new/, so that they need to get moved into the cyrus store for
the user. That's no problem. However....

I've got stuck at the next bit. OK, I can work out that the messages in
the INBOX are individually numbered (eg, 52., 53., 54.). So, the
converted mail files need to be renamed, one would guess. Can someone
suggest the best method for renaming these files? Is the order of
numbering of the files important (eg, datestamping), or is it irrelevant.

Next thing is that only occasionally have I been able to rebuild the
cyrus DB to have these converted messages appear in the INBOX. It was
late last night, so I can't recall ALL the details. However, I do
suspect that it *MAY* have something to do with the naming of the files
mentioned above. Additionally, it *COULD* have something to do with the
cyrus commands I'm issuing to try and rebuild the cyrus DB.

Thirdly, when (on only two occasions, mind you) the converted messages
did pop up, they are being displayed as 'read'. How can I set their
status to 'unread'. I did suspect that *MAYBE* the fullstop (period) at
the end of the filename might be the clue, but since I didn't manage to
get the messages appearing again, I could work it out.

Any comments, suggestions, flames, greatly appreciated.

Pete.