PHP 4.2.3 for Redhat 7.3

Brian brianb at sboss.net
Tue Jan 28 16:13:21 EST 2003

Simon Brady said:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, crab ravi wrote:
>
>> I'm in a process of setting up Postfix-Cyrus-Web-Cyradm on Redhat 7.3
>> Server. As per Mr Luc's Howto, PHP-4.2.3 is needed, but RH 7.3 is
>> shipped with PHP-4.1.2-7. I could not able to find RPM in the
>> internet.
>
> The easiest solution is to build PHP from source.

If by "easiest" you mean "easiest way to break your native package
management".

Everyone:  Please, please, please stop telling the Redhat (and RPM)
newbies to build everything from source only.  If you want to break your
package management, build from source (./configure; make; make install)

New RPM users, please learn how to build your own RPM's instead.  Your
system will thank you for it.

http://freshrpms.net/docs/fight.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/books/max-rpm/max-rpm-html/

Go here ...
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=php&submit=Search+...

... and first try rebuilding the php from Rawhide:

rpmbuild --rebuild
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/rawhide/1.0/SRPMS/SRPMS/php-4.2.2-13.src.rpm

> An alternative would be to take an SRPM from another distribution
> (www.rpmfind.net lists a few) and do an rpm --recompile, but that may
> introduce subtle problems of its own.

The problems should be less severe than breaking RPM though.

--
Brian