PHP 4.2.3 for Redhat 7.3

Simon Brady simon.brady at otago.ac.nz
Tue Jan 28 18:02:11 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Brian wrote:

> ... and first try rebuilding the php from Rawhide:
>
> rpmbuild --rebuild
> ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/rawhide/1.0/SRPMS/SRPMS/php-4.2.2-13.src.rpm

Except that according to the original message Web-Cyradm requires 4.2.3,
which is why I didn't suggest this as an option.

That nitpick aside, I take your point - in an ideal world we'd all have
time to do things properly, and the fruits of our packaging labours would
flow back to the rest of the community. However, PHP is big and hairy and
insanely configurable, and even if I took the time to package it up would
anyone else actually be happy with my configuration choices?

I know this attitude is short-sighted, and I have a lot of respect for
people who do put the effort into package creation. But sadly, in an
environment where time is (someone else's) money, kludges sometimes make
the best sense.

Until you go to upgrade, of course :-)

Simon Brady                             mailto:simon.brady at otago.ac.nz
ITS Technical Services
University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand