Outlook 2002 vs. Cyrus 2.1.12

Hasso Meyer-Jordan meyer-jordan at t-online.de
Tue Feb 11 12:32:44 EST 2003

Hi Ken, Per!

> I just did some testing myself with Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express 6.
> I couldn't get either client to hang after doing APPENDs (with IDLE
> enabled).  OE does close the connection after calling IDLE after the
> final APPEND however.
>
> I'm not convinced that this is a server issue.  I'd like to see what
> happens against a different server that supports IDLE (eg, UW IMAP).

I've read about Outlook gets into trouble with IMAP servers which sends answers
too fast (OE shouldn't be so sensitive [becausae it's another development]):

microsoft.public.outlook.interop
Outlook 2002 IMAP problems; Jan. 2003 follow-up

Link (long format, sorry):
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
8&threadm=9d9fd1c2.0301201252.33081226%40posting.google.com&rnum=7&prev=/groups%
3Fq%3Dcyrus%2Bimap%2Bidle%2Boutlook%26hl%3Dde%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-
8%26selm%3D9d9fd1c2.0301201252.33081226%2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D7

Perhaps this could be another cause!?

By the way:
B Leiba, the developer/issuer of IDLE RFC 2177, somewhere had described that
Outlook and OE makes heavily usage of IDLE command between almost every
conventional operation. He said "it makes no sense" ... "but anyway it's fully
RFC conform".

(I wouldn't be surprised about brain-dead Microsoft developers! ;-)))
Perhaps badly payed immigrants of India [like unskilled worker]. )

Cheers, Hasso