cyrus -> sasl -> offer different mechs for auth

pilsl at goldfisch.at pilsl at goldfisch.at
Sun Feb 16 07:07:35 EST 2003

I use cyrus 2.x and sasl 1.5.27 and want to use the login, digest-md5
and cramm-md5 plugin for authentication.

All is ok as long as I use sasldb, cause saslpasswd creates passes for
each available mech.
 But I need to use PAM and from this point on the only working mech is
LOGIN.  In my case PAM auth against a pstgreSQL-database where the passwords
are stored as CRYPT.

Are there any tricks to get different passes for different mechs from
PAM ?

Maybe I'm even completely wrong with my thoughts and my problem is
somewhere completely else:

I believe that for each mech a different password-format is
necessary. Maybe this is wrong at all.  When looking at sasl2 (which I
cant use, cause sendmail also auths against sasl and it does not
support sasl2 yet) it has a direct SQL-Interface (mysql-only) buildt
into and the sql-query also dont offer to provide different passwords
for different mechs.

Hope I could my questions and doubts make clear and maybe someone can
give a bit more light in my darkness. I read the docs and somehow I'm
a bit confused now ..

thnx,
peter

--