nntp fiddling

Amos Gouaux +archive.info-cyrus at utdallas.edu
Tue Dec 30 15:35:05 EST 2003

>>>>> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:12:30 -0500,
>>>>> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> (km) writes:

km> I specifically do not serve user.* via NNTP, mainly because I
km> figured somebody might screw something up.  But since I now have
km> relatively good access controls, I can probably remove this
km> restriction.

km> I also thought it might be disconcerting for users to see their
km> personal folders (e.g. user.ken.*) as "newsgroups".

I'm inclined to agree.  Besides, I think NNTP of read/write folders
that generally won't be expired, like an INBOX, probably wouldn't
work out so well.  Maybe a brief comment in imapd.conf would be
helpful, though.

However, I'm realizing that a lot of our shared folders tend to be
used more like NNTP groups than IMAP read/write folders, so this
NNTP access is quite intriguing.  Especially when the access
permissions also apply.  Very cool.

Being able to set squat (that's so funny to say) and expire via
annotations is sooooo cool.

km> How are things running?  Any issues with NNTP clients or servers?

So far, things are looking pretty good.  The only oddity I've seen
is from a reader called tin that at one time seemed to be pretty
popular here:

  Your server does not have Xref: in its XOVER information.
  Tin will try to use XHDR XREF instead (slows down things a bit).

I haven't tested it with other servers, mainly because our ancient
news server has had terrible feeds for a long time, and has
suffered serious hardware problems.

--
Amos