nntp fiddling

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Dec 30 15:59:16 EST 2003

Amos Gouaux wrote:

> km> I specifically do not serve user.* via NNTP, mainly because I
> km> figured somebody might screw something up.  But since I now have
> km> relatively good access controls, I can probably remove this
> km> restriction.
>
> km> I also thought it might be disconcerting for users to see their
> km> personal folders (e.g. user.ken.*) as "newsgroups".
>
> I'm inclined to agree.  Besides, I think NNTP of read/write folders
> that generally won't be expired, like an INBOX, probably wouldn't
> work out so well.  Maybe a brief comment in imapd.conf would be
> helpful, though.
>
> However, I'm realizing that a lot of our shared folders tend to be
> used more like NNTP groups than IMAP read/write folders, so this
> NNTP access is quite intriguing.  Especially when the access
> permissions also apply.  Very cool.
>
> Being able to set squat (that's so funny to say) and expire via
> annotations is sooooo cool.
>
> km> How are things running?  Any issues with NNTP clients or servers?
>
> So far, things are looking pretty good.  The only oddity I've seen
> is from a reader called tin that at one time seemed to be pretty
> popular here:
>
>   Your server does not have Xref: in its XOVER information.
>   Tin will try to use XHDR XREF instead (slows down things a bit).

I added support for the Xref header to CVS last week.

The basic problem with Xref is that we don't know what the UID of an
article will be until after its hit the disk, therefore making it
difficult to insert it at delivery time.

It occured to me last week that I'm already keeping track of every
article by message-id in deliver.db (with group, uid and timestamp) so I
can generate the Xref header on the fly and injected into the ARTICLE,
BODY, OVER and HDR responses.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127