Whose fault? vacation messages bounce to postmaster.

mark london mrl at psfc.mit.edu
Tue Aug 12 09:48:32 EDT 2003

I am running cyrus/squirrelmail/sendmail.  I have a vacation plugin
for squirrelmail and set up vacation autoresponding.  However, if
vacation responds to a spam message that has a bogus email address,
the bounced message that says that the vacation message can't be
delivered to that bogus email address, goes to postmaster at our
site, rather than the person who has vacation enabled.  I don't know
if this is a feature or a bug, and how to  change it's behavior.  I
notice that  thevacation autoresponse messages have a line at the top
of message say that cyrus set sender to <>.  Is this possible the
reason for this behavior?  Or is it a sendmail feature?  Here's the
header of a vacation response message.  Thanks! -   Mark