Whose fault? vacation messages bounce to postmaster.

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at cox.net
Tue Aug 12 11:07:43 EDT 2003

mark london wrote:

> I am running cyrus/squirrelmail/sendmail.  I have a vacation plugin for
> squirrelmail and set up vacation autoresponding.  However, if vacation
> responds to a spam message that has a bogus email address, the bounced
> message that says that the vacation message can't be delivered to that
> bogus email address, goes to postmaster at our site, rather than the
> person who has vacation enabled.  I don't know if this is a feature or a
> bug, and how to  change it's behavior.  I notice that  thevacation
> autoresponse messages have a line at the top of message say that cyrus
> set sender to <>.  Is this possible the reason for this behavior?  Or is
> it a sendmail feature?  Here's the header of a vacation response
> message.  Thanks! -   Mark

You've indirectly answered your own question. Automated responses,
like vacation responses, are always sent using a null sender, to avoid
message loops.

If the response was sent using the original recipient's address as the
sender, where would the bounce be sent? If it was sent to the original
recipient, that would trigger the vacation response again.