FUD, fud-client

Per Steinar Iversen PerSteinar.Iversen at adm.hio.no
Wed Aug 13 10:30:38 EDT 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Rob Siemborski wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Per Steinar Iversen wrote:
>
> > The fud-client in cyrus-imapd-2.1.14 seems a little broken, or perhaps
> > it is the fud-server?
>
> It appears you're calling it in a strange way.
>
> > $ fud-client localhost stens user.stens
> > user: stens
> > mbox: user.stens
> > Number of Recent 0
> > Last read: Wed Aug 13 11:37:51 2003
> > Last arrived: Wed Aug 13 13:54:38 2003
>
> Looks fine to me.
>
> > But:
> >
> > $ fud-client localhost randomstring user.stens
> > user: randomstring
> > mbox: user.stens
> > Number of Recent 1553
> > Last read: Thu Jan  1 01:00:00 1970
> > Last arrived: Wed Aug 13 13:54:38 2003
>
> The 'randomstring' is telling fud 'show me the seen state of this mailbox
> as seen by the user "randomstring"'.  Which, if 'randomstring' isn't a
> valid user, is going to be "all messages recent, never opened".
>
> > The only numbers that seems reasonable is the "Last arrived" and "Number
> > of Recent" when the fud "user" is a random string and the username.
>
> Doctor! It hurts when I hit my head against the wall! ;)
>
> > It would really be nice to have a utility that listed the number of
> > read/unread messages in the INBOX, it is quite useful.
>
> fud is just that utility.  (Of course, it relies on \Recent, not \Seen).
>
> -Rob
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
> Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper

Ah, I understand, not very detailed documentation on fud :-)

\Recent is a problem as many of our users seems to like to be logged in on
several machines at the same time and all of these poll for new mail - I
imagine that \Recent then will be mostly zero, even if there is a lot of
new mail that has not actually been read.

In older versions of Cyrus (1.6.*) the seen information was stored in a
simple format in cyrus.seen and it was easy to make a utility to extract
the number of messages and the number of messages unread. With 2.1.* the
data structure of the seen-file is more complex even when converted to the
flat format. Is there any easy way to determine which record correspond to
INBOX in the flat format?

-psi