authentication, shadow, linux

Hennie Rautenbach hennie at sabinet.co.za
Wed Apr 9 10:24:48 EDT 2003

Hi there folks,

I just installed the latest Cyrus IMAPD server on a Linux box (Redhat
2.4.18-3 ?) [uname -r].

Anyway, I have it running but I'm unable to do authentication. I'd
prefer to use the shadow passwd file. I'm sure this is a FAQ but I my
wading through the archives haven't shown any useful pointers. How do I
get Cyrus imap to authenticate through the shadow password file ?

The exact error:

[Spock!:/usr/cyrus]imtest spock
S: * OK spock.sabinet.co.za Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.12-Invoca-RPM-2.1.12-3
server readyC: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED
ANNOTATEMORE X-NETSCAPE
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN cyrus {7}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 NO Login failed: no mechanism available
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 0
. logout
* BYE LOGOUT received
. OK Completed
Connection closed.
[Spock!:/usr/cyrus]

Any (even alternative) pointers most welcome.

Best regards,

Hennie

 Hennie Rautenbach                  Work: http://www.sabinet.co.za
 082-556-1191                       Play: http://www.overland.co.za

 Reveal not every secret you have to a friend, for how can you tell
 but that friend may hereafter become an enemy. And bring not all
 mischief you are able to upon an enemy, for he may one day become
 your friend.                                             -- Saadi

delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the
opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by Sabinet Online
Limited unless expressly stated otherwise.