email virus protection

Kendrick Vargas ken at hudat.com
Wed Apr 9 10:30:11 EDT 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Wayne Dawson wrote:

> Hello all,
>    is there a consensus on what products and/or methods are the best to
> protect against email viruses, at the server level?
>    Also, does anyone here have any experience with a product called Antivir?
>    Here's our setup.  We will use Cyrus IMAP on Linux.  Incoming mail will
> go through a separate SMTP gateway machine (also Linux), and email will be
> retrieved by (1) Windows XP client machines on our LAN, and (2) a web based
> client that will probably be running on the same machine as the SMTP gateway.

My present setup has Postfix as SMTP and AMaViS as the virus scanner,
using ClamAV and F-Prot as the scanning engines. ClamAV is free and F-Prot
is free for non-commercial use. F-Prot is really good, and I've never had
a problem with it. ClamAV is good too, except that sometimes virus updates
are not available (web site down) and/or the definitions aren't always as
up to date as F-Prot.

AMaViS is set up as an SMTP gateway, so it has the potential of working
with any email server. It can be bitchy sometimes, but it mostly works.
			-peace

--
Let he who is without clue kiss my ass