authentication, shadow, linux

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Thu Apr 10 01:59:00 EDT 2003

Hennie Rautenbach schrieb:

> Hi there folks,
>
> I just installed the latest Cyrus IMAPD server on a Linux box (Redhat
> 2.4.18-3 ?) [uname -r].
>
> Anyway, I have it running but I'm unable to do authentication. I'd
> prefer to use the shadow passwd file. I'm sure this is a FAQ but I my
> wading through the archives haven't shown any useful pointers. How do I
> get Cyrus imap to authenticate through the shadow password file ?

Since you are using my rpms, it should be very simple. A little bit more
info would be nice however, do you use RedHat 8.0?
First, please rebuild and upgrade to the latest cyrus-imapd rpm from my
website. Then, set a password for the cyrus UNIX user by using 'passwd
cyrus'. Then make sure saslauthd is started and configured to use either
shadow directly or PAM.

chkconfig saslauthd on
service saslauthd start

Now, run cyrus-imapd but make sure you didn't change any settings in
/etc/imapd.conf!

service cyrus-imapd start

Now try:
cyradm --user=cyrus --auth=login localhost

Does it work? I'm sure it does!

HTH
Simon