auth not working only on pop3d

Darko Obradovic dobradovic at gmx.de
Thu Apr 10 16:54:19 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I have set um my mailsystem with:
postfix-2.0.3
cyrus-sasl-2.1.10
cyrus-imapd-2.1.11

I configured postfix to use SMTP AUTH via sasldb, no saslauthd is
running, and it works fine.
I set up cyrus with "sasl_pwcheck_method: sasldb" and "allowplaintext:
yes" via imapd.conf.
And now I can access the imap-server nicely with or without SSL, but I
can't call the mails via POP. I get an error by the mail-client and the
logs on the server only say: "[pop3d] unknown password verifier".

I got somewaht confused and connected to port 110 via telnet. On an
"auth" the server responds with:

+OK p15106487 Cyrus POP3 v2.1.11 server ready
<461244038.1050006678 at p15106487>
auth
+OK List of supported mechanisms follows
CRAM-MD5
DIGEST-MD5
OTP
.
quit
+OK
Connection closed by foreign host.
<<<<<
I have no idea what OTP is, but it looks like my mail-client gets along
fine with smtp and imap because he supports CRAM-MD5 there, but fails
on the POP-server then, as it definitely doesn't support it for POP3.

Any help or ideas appreciated. :(

bye,

Darko