shared mailboxes and Execmail

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Apr 30 12:34:24 EDT 2003

We have users who are using Execmail and I am concerned about configuring Execmail
to access shared mailboxes.

It looks as if the best configuration for a user who does not need to get at shared
mailboxes is to set the message service location and prefix to both be
"user.username.".

I don't see any way of getting the one message service to show both the user's own
mailboxes and other users' shared mailboxes.

To get at another user's inbox (shared of course) it seems I have to set up another
message service with the location set to "user.".  The new message service then
displays the current user's inbox again with the shared inbox shown below.

So, one can get at the shared inbox but only by having one's own inbox listed twice.

The other thing that concerns me is that by putting a location of "user." I assume
that, at login, cyrus will be scanning all 20,000 inboxes to see if any of their
ACLs grant access.  Is that going to create a significant overhead?

Any advice on setting up Execmail for use with cyrus would be very welcome.

Phil.