Webmail applications that are kind to the IMAP server?

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Mon Sep 2 14:39:00 EDT 2002

On Mon, 02 Sep 2002, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> <Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de> wrote:
> | We haven't been able to find any in our evaluation of webmail systems.
> | We've chosen IMP for our webmail (<https://webmail.uni-koeln.de>) in
> | spite of this issue. What bugs me is that the PHP module that's used for
> | IMP seems to have a flag that basically says "use persistent
> | connections".  I have no idea why the developers chose not to use it ...
>
> Because it does not work. There is a fundamental problem with using
> apache+PHP to do webmail. The problem is the process model that apache has
[...]

I believe some webmail solutions based on Java servlets can, and do have
proper pesistent connections to the imap server.  I know of only one
free-software product (well, as free as anything java using the Sun APIs can
be anyway) like that, and it is not mature yet... and it is in Brazilian
Portuguese only, AFAIK.  The name is DiretoGNU, for reference.

  Henrique Holschuh