fsync() takes about 0.06 second ---makes Cyrus deliver slow

Daniel Nilsson dnilsson at sisoft.com
Tue Sep 10 11:12:36 EDT 2002

Su Li wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> My Linux is red hat 7.2-1 with kernel 2.4.7-10. The file system is ext3.
> Hard disk it RAID5.
>
> -----
> Besides, I did some calculation on the time of the system calls on a
> new-email. 3 fcync takes about 0.15 seconds. Each mail overall takes 0.65
> seconds. I see the number of locks and deliver process can go up to
> thousands. Maybe some thing else is also taking big time, say the
> communication between deliver and lmtpd?
>
> Anyway, I'll keep trying. Thanks for every body's help. If anybody got some
> idea, please let me know.

Su,

The interesting thing here is that you are using ext3. I haven't tried
ext3 myself but from what I understand using ext3 you get journaling of
both data and metadata where for example reiserfs only journals
metadata. This obviously has advantages if you are worried about crashes
and such, but at the cost of performance.

I would try using a different filesystem, you can try both ext2 and
reiserfs to see what the performance impacts are and then make a
tradeoff on which one to use. Do you fell like you need a journaling
filesystem for this task ?

--
Daniel Nilsson
Senior Consultant