Cyrus IMAP Presentation

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Sep 17 09:31:02 EDT 2002

adam at morrison-ind.com wrote:

> >>I've created a presentation about Cyrus IMAPd that I will be showing to
> >>the
> >>local LUG in a couple of weeks.  I'd appreciate it if some Cyrus masters
> >>would> take a look at it and see if I've gotten anything wrong.
> >Some of these may be a bit picky, but they're things I noticed.
> >(Slide 5)
> >I beleive there are Debian Packages, put together by Henrique de Moraes
> >Holschuh <hmh at debian.org>.
>
> Now mentioned.
>
> >(Slide 6)
> >"prefork" keeps *atleast* that number of processes standing by.  Processes
> >will be reused as they become available (and they expire after they've
> >been waiting around for a while doing nothing)
>
> Ok, I clarified that.
>
> >(Slide 8)
> >The mailbox hierarchy does not have to work the way you describe (see also
> >altnamespace and unixhierarchysep)
>
> Noted,  but I don't know if I want to go into that.
>
> Do "typical" installations use altnamespace or the hierarchical name space?
>
> If I change it after the server is in use does it wig out user subscriptions,
> etc...?

Nope.  I made sure that when I designed/implemented these options, that
it wouldn't be a problem.  Internally, the mailbox names are the same,
all that changes is what is presented to the client.  A good client
should be fetching the subscribed folders via the LSUB command, so it
will always get a correct list.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127