Cyrus IMAP Presentation

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 17 11:44:37 EDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 09:31:02AM -0400, Ken Murchison wrote:
> > >(Slide 8)
> > >The mailbox hierarchy does not have to work the way you describe (see also
> > >altnamespace and unixhierarchysep)
> >
> > Noted,  but I don't know if I want to go into that.
> >
> > Do "typical" installations use altnamespace or the hierarchical name space?
> >
> > If I change it after the server is in use does it wig out user subscriptions,
> > etc...?
>
> Nope.  I made sure that when I designed/implemented these options, that
> it wouldn't be a problem.  Internally, the mailbox names are the same,
> all that changes is what is presented to the client.  A good client
> should be fetching the subscribed folders via the LSUB command, so it
> will always get a correct list.

On this note I did a recent 2.0.16 -> 2.1.9 migration. I didn't use
altnamespace or heir patches in 2.0.16. With 2.1.9 I left heirsep as
'.' but enabled altnamespace.

Moz, Netscape, Evolution and fetchmail clients never had a problem.
Pine users needed to tweak their configs as did Mullbery Linux users.
Looking at the .sub db for those users using these clients showed that
the clients don't use subscriptions which possibly explains why the
users had to make a clinet side change.

The reported symptom was expecte, 'all my subfolders are missing!' :)

--
  Scott Russell (lnxgeek at us.ibm.com)
  Linux Technology Center, System Admin, RHCE.