Cyrus IMAP Presentation

adam at morrison-ind.com adam at morrison-ind.com
Tue Sep 17 11:47:19 EDT 2002

>>This is precisely the reason that a sysadmin considering Cyrus as part of a
>>mail distribution system should build from source.  The economics of
>>implementing a Cyrus based mail server system are very powerful when
>>considered against commercial systems such as Microsoft, Notes, and
>>others.
>There's nothing wrong with using packages, provided you do your
>homework.
>IMO, any sysadmin considering Cyrus should understand the options that
>were used to build the package that they want to use.  People always
>talk up building from source, but usually people who maintain packages
>(Simon for the RPM's for instance and Henrique for the debs) really know
>what they're doing and their packages show it.  Having lots of
>xperience with the 1.x series, I thought this would translate into
>knowing the 2.x series really well and I was wrong. hence my numerous
>posts to this list over the last couple of months.  Ultimately I
>abandoned my custom built setup for Henrique's packages I've learned a
>lot in seeing the options he used at compilation time as well as a sane
>filesystem layout that works well for cyrus.

I agree.  I've never used Cyrus before and spent the better part of two months
recompiling, recompiling, recompiling, etc...  and not getting anywhere.  If
there was a problem I didn't know if it was because I had built it wrong, or if
I was just ignorant about some facet of the configuration.  I've learned vastly
more since using the packages, because they provide a "known working" scenario
to build on.  And, with no derision intended for the Cyrus team, the
documentation is pretty sketchy about numerous points and has very few examples.
 A great deal of knowledge is assumed on behalf of the reader,  knowledge it is
nearly impossible to acquire without a working Cyrus install (and even then it
can be pretty tough).  Most of the documentation I've found concerns the 1.5.x
series.