Cyrus IMAP Presentation

Brian brianb at sboss.net
Tue Sep 17 11:10:01 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 10:41, Arley Carter wrote:

> This is precisely the reason that a sysadmin considering Cyrus as part of a
> mail distribution system should build from source.  The economics of
> implementing a Cyrus based mail server system are very powerful when
> considered against commercial systems such as Microsoft, Notes, and others.

There's nothing wrong with using packages, provided you do your
homework.

IMO, any sysadmin considering Cyrus should understand the options that
were used to build the package that they want to use.  People always
talk up building from source, but usually people who maintain packages
(Simon for the RPM's for instance and Henrique for the debs) really know
what they're doing and their packages show it.  Having lots of
experience with the 1.x series, I thought this would translate into
knowing the 2.x series really well and I was wrong. hence my numerous
posts to this list over the last couple of months.  Ultimately I
abandoned my custom built setup for Henrique's packages I've learned a
lot in seeing the options he used at compilation time as well as a sane
filesystem layout that works well for cyrus.

--
Brian