Distributed File Systems

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 21 14:39:15 EDT 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, David Chait wrote:

>     If Cyrus does not opperate properly within an AFS environment, what does
> CMU use as a storage solution? I can only assume it's not directly attached
> storage considering the sheer mass of data involved.

Actually, we use directly attached Jetstor-II RAID arrays, (2 volumes of
4x36GB drives configured as RAID5).

Each of our backend servers (4 of them) have a single Jetstor unit
attached.

I'm not sure why large storage requirements automatically require storage
that isn't directly attached.  If any thing, the performance
requirements of the mailstore almost certainly require that it be
directly attached.

Before we were using a murder configuration, our storage solution was
still directly attached, except it was 3 (smaller, that is 18GB instead of
36GB drives) RAID devices to a single machine.  Details of this older
configuration are at http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/config.html.

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper