When users delete mail, I want it to be moved to Trash.

Erik Enge eenge at prium.net
Mon Oct 21 16:08:04 EDT 2002

Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe at paniq.net> writes:

> Are you kidding?

No.

> If you have to maintain workstations for a number of users, you should
> set a client policy - ie. you should choose a client that works for
> you.

No.  This is not a client-side problem.  Cyrus has removed my control
over my data.  I want it back.

> Remove the appropriate flags from the appropriate mailboxes.

I understand that I can do this, but it will only work by side-effect.
Ie. it will only work because most of the clients move the mail to the
Trash folder when you hit delete.  Some don't, however, and I would like
not to loose sleep over them.  (Figuratively speaking, of course.)

> I suspect your users will soon complain loudly, however.

They will if their clients try to delete it and they get an error
message saying they can't.  That's why I'd like Cyrus to fool them, so
to speak.

> Instead of trying to do strange things and redefining the Delete
> function in your users' clients, you should teach your users not to
> press Delete when they don't mean to.

In which case I would have to rely on them to actually move the mail
instead of delete it?  No, I cannot do that.

Erik.