When users delete mail, I want it to be moved to Trash.

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Oct 21 16:14:41 EDT 2002

Erik Enge wrote:

> Rob Siemborski <rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
> > It's not a server-side responsibility.  You need to have a client that
> > does it.
>
> This makes no sense to me.
>
> Let me use an analogy so you perhaps understand me better.  On my Unix
> server(s), I am root and I rule and dictate as I want - as I should.
> For example, I believe users are inherently clueless, so I have (I
> haven't really, but to illustrate my problem) replaced /bin/rm with a
> shell script that moves the file instead of deleting it.  Unless you are
> also root on that server, you cannot override that.
>
> This is good.  I can manipulate the system.  I can hook into things
> without the user having to know about it.  I can make sure that data
> that needs to be available actually is available.

You analogy is flawed, because you have changed the client (/bin/rm) and
not the server (filesystem access functions).  What you're saying is
that your filesystem is buggy because you can't make the unlink() call
play some shell game with the file location and permissions.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127