locking problems with 2.1.9

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 6 13:20:00 EST 2002

   Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:04:56 -0500 (EST)
   From: pete at wookie.oit.umass.edu

   We are experiencing locking problems with cyrus 2.1.9 on a Solaris 8
   system using fcntl and skiplist (except flat for subscriptions).
   We've seen the following issues:

     * Lmtpd's acquire a lock on a cyrus.seen file and never get it;
       they stack up as mail comes in.

Do the lmtpd acquire or are they _attempting_ to acquire the lock on
the cyrus.seen file?

Are you using the seen_local backend instead of seen_db? This hasn't
been tested by us in a long time; we've been assuming everyone is
using seen_db.

Who is holding the lock? lsof can tell you.

Larry