LMTP, db4, cyrus memory leak?

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 6 12:59:20 EST 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Joe Hrbek wrote:

> Ok, so I have a really strange problem.  It appears to me that cyrus or
> saslauthd has a memory leak of some kind, and if not those two, something
> else in the chain.
[snip]

You'll have to be more specific than this.  What are the sizes of the
processes?  How many processes are running?  How much memory is on your
server to begin with?  What is your saslauthd setup?

> It still doesn't explain why my system is running out of memory. :(  I have
> noticed that if I restart saslauthd I get a considerable amount of memory
> back.  If I restart cyrus I get a bit more.  If I don't restart these two
> services, after about 4 days, the system starts killing processes as
> described below.

Of course you're going to get lots of memory back if you restart cyrus..
it will kill off all the current sessions and just restart the number that
you've preforked.

As far as saslauthd, I need to know what backend you're using (we know of
one with some versions of heimdal for krb5 password verification... but
the problem is in heimdal not in saslauthd)

> The kernel just started dropping processes. :(

As it should if you're in a resource crunch.

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper