locking problems with 2.1.9

Peter Krotkov pete at wookie.oit.umass.edu
Wed Nov 6 14:07:11 EST 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Lawrence Greenfield wrote:

>    Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:04:56 -0500 (EST)
>    From: pete at wookie.oit.umass.edu
>
>    We are experiencing locking problems with cyrus 2.1.9 on a Solaris 8
>    system using fcntl and skiplist (except flat for subscriptions).
>    We've seen the following issues:
>
>      * Lmtpd's acquire a lock on a cyrus.seen file and never get it;
>        they stack up as mail comes in.
>
> Do the lmtpd acquire or are they _attempting_ to acquire the lock on
> the cyrus.seen file?
>
> Are you using the seen_local backend instead of seen_db? This hasn't
> been tested by us in a long time; we've been assuming everyone is
> using seen_db.

./configure
--with-com_err
--prefix=/var/cyrus/local
--with-cyrus-prefix=/var/cyrus/local/cyrus
--with-cyrus-group=mail
--with-sasl=/var/cyrus/local
--with-openssl=/usr/local/ssl2
--without-ucdsnmp
--with-dbdir=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3
--with-libwrap=/usr/local
--with-duplicate-db=skiplist
--with-mboxlist-db=skiplist
--with-seen-db=skiplist
--with-subs-db=flat
--with-tls-db=skiplist

> Who is holding the lock? lsof can tell you.
>
> Larry

We noticed this adventure happening yesterday and, in the end, 'master'
was stopped and then started.  Not a single hiccup since then (about
110,000 imap logins and 50,000 messages handed to lmtpd since midnight).
Should this happen again I'll be sure a record the details concerning what
process has/wants which locks.

Thank you for your time,

Pete