locking problems with 2.1.9

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 6 14:11:10 EST 2002

   Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:07:11 -0500 (EST)
   From: Peter Krotkov <pete at wookie.oit.umass.edu>

   > Do the lmtpd acquire or are they _attempting_ to acquire the lock on
   > the cyrus.seen file?
   >
   > Are you using the seen_local backend instead of seen_db? This hasn't
   > been tested by us in a long time; we've been assuming everyone is
   > using seen_db.

Weird. You aren't using seen_local, which means that lmtpd should
never even be trying to acquire a lock on cyrus.seen (this file is
used read only exclusively).

   --with-duplicate-db=skiplist

just a warning, you'll probably experience performance problems using
the skiplist backend for duplicate delivery suppression. (If you have
duplicate delivery suppression turned off it probably doesn't matter.)

   We noticed this adventure happening yesterday and, in the end, 'master'
   was stopped and then started.  Not a single hiccup since then (about
   110,000 imap logins and 50,000 messages handed to lmtpd since midnight).
   Should this happen again I'll be sure a record the details concerning what
   process has/wants which locks.

Ok, that would be helpful.

Larry