PostgreSQL backend: a waste of time?

Nuno Silva nuno.silva at sectium.com
Sat Nov 30 06:24:34 EST 2002

Hello!

Rob Siemborski wrote:

> All cyrusdb backends need to support transactions.
>
> That being said, I really think that using an RDBMS for the simple
> key/value pairings that cyrus needs is really unnecessary and reeks of "I
> want to use a buzzword" more than being a real solution.

In most scenarious I agree 100% :) However if you have a busy server and
you want a remote server to take care of retreiving, inserting, sorting,
etc, RDBMS is the answer. This will add a new server to your setup, so
it's a Bad Thing(c) too :))

But, with this kind of "virtual DB", cyrus spool could easily be
installed over NFS or anything else. AFAICT, without the DB files, cyrus
is NFS friendly.

Imagine:

1 netapp/emc/whatever NFS with 5TB;
1 RDBMS per 20 frontends;
20 frontends (or 40 or 100 or 1000) without local storage

(you must add auth and MTA services of course...)

Sorry for keeping alive this academical discussion but I feel that this
kind of setup will be a must in a couple of years (everybody wants to
separate roles -- storage, DB, frontends, etc).

Regards,
Nuno Silva