PostgreSQL backend: a waste of time?

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Nov 30 00:55:26 EST 2002

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Nuno Silva wrote:

> I'm not 100% sure, but I suppose that one can virtualize the
> connections. What I mean is: imapd (or pop3d or lmtpd...) wants to write
> something -> ask the daemon and the daemon will choose a free connection
> and commit those changes. This is the "one operation simple case".
> Some of the DBs that cyrus maintains appear to be this simple (the
> mailboxes file).

Well, actually the mailboxes list requires transactions as well.

> Other cyrus' DBs seem to require transactions (seen and delivery DB's)..
> This makes it harder to manage with a single daemon connecting to a
> RDBMS with onky a few connections.
> CMU people or Ken: comments? :)

All cyrusdb backends need to support transactions.

That being said, I really think that using an RDBMS for the simple
key/value pairings that cyrus needs is really unnecessary and reeks of "I
want to use a buzzword" more than being a real solution.

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper