PostgreSQL backend: a waste of time?

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Nov 30 07:39:29 EST 2002

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Nuno Silva wrote:

> In most scenarious I agree 100% :) However if you have a busy server and
> you want a remote server to take care of retreiving, inserting, sorting,
> etc, RDBMS is the answer. This will add a new server to your setup, so
> it's a Bad Thing(c) too :))

It will also add network latency to the cost of updates.

> But, with this kind of "virtual DB", cyrus spool could easily be
> installed over NFS or anything else. AFAICT, without the DB files, cyrus
> is NFS friendly.

No, it can't, since the mailbox header and index files still need to be
locked and these are not cyrusdb files.

If you really want to change cyrus storage to entirely use a RDBMS
backend, you're going to have to almost completely rewrite the server (I
think you might be able to keep some of the parsing and authentication
code ;).

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper