strange authentication error

Mark J. Lilback mark at lilback.com
Tue Dec 3 13:59:25 EST 2002

Hi. I'm running in to a strange authentication problem and was hoping
someone could point me in the right direction.

I've configured cyrus-imapd-2.1.10 on a Solaris 8 box, along with
cyrus-sasl-2.1.9.

My imap.conf contains the following lines related to authentication:
admins: mailadmin
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd

I've started saslauthd as "saslauthd -a pam".

I then run "cyradm --user=mailadmin localhost" and enter the
password. I get a "cannot authenticate to server" message.

In /var/adm/messages the following gets logged:
imapd[7811]: [ID 702911 auth.error] unable to open Berkeley db no: No
such file or directory

The message used to read "/etc/sasldb2" instead of "no" before I
recompiled sasl with --without-dbpath.

Why is imapd trying to read the sasldb2 file instead of using
saslauthd and pam?

Also, I've set CYRUS_VERBOSE=1 in my environment and run master with
the -D option and nothing ever gets output to my terminal. I've tried
higher numbers, too. Isn't that suppose to provide debugging
information?

Thanks.

                                   "They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback                    to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark at lilback.com>                 deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/                               -- Benjamin Franklin