strange authentication error

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 3 14:20:06 EST 2002

I suspect you're trying to use one of the non plaintext mechanisms.

What mechanisms are offered when you connect using imtest?

The probably solution is to add a line to imapd.conf like:

sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN

-Rob

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Mark J. Lilback wrote:

> Hi. I'm running in to a strange authentication problem and was hoping
> someone could point me in the right direction.
>
> I've configured cyrus-imapd-2.1.10 on a Solaris 8 box, along with
> cyrus-sasl-2.1.9.
>
> My imap.conf contains the following lines related to authentication:
> admins: mailadmin
> sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>

> I've started saslauthd as "saslauthd -a pam".
>
> I then run "cyradm --user=mailadmin localhost" and enter the
> password. I get a "cannot authenticate to server" message.
>
> In /var/adm/messages the following gets logged:
> imapd[7811]: [ID 702911 auth.error] unable to open Berkeley db no: No
> such file or directory
>
> The message used to read "/etc/sasldb2" instead of "no" before I
> recompiled sasl with --without-dbpath.
>
> Why is imapd trying to read the sasldb2 file instead of using
> saslauthd and pam?
>
> Also, I've set CYRUS_VERBOSE=1 in my environment and run master with
> the -D option and nothing ever gets output to my terminal. I've tried
> higher numbers, too. Isn't that suppose to provide debugging
> information?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
>                                    "They that can give up essential liberty
> Mark J. Lilback                    to obtain a little temporary safety
> <mark at lilback.com>                 deserve neither liberty or safety."
> http://www.lilback.com/                               -- Benjamin Franklin

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper