Plaintext Authentication on FreeBSD 4.6.2

Michel Hardy-Vallée michel at cmo.uqam.ca
Thu Aug 29 15:19:24 EDT 2002

Hello,

I am trying to setup cyrus-imapd 2.1.5 with cyrus-sasl 2.1.7 on a
FreeBSD 4.6.2 machine (source from the ports collection).  My problem is
that imapd cannot communicate with saslauthd, so that I have the
following message in my auth.log:

Aug 29 14:14:02 myhost imapd[237]: cannot connect to saslauthd server:
Unknown error: -1077955064(

As I want to use SSL for IMAP, I use only plaintext authentication. So I
set up saslauthd to use sasldb in /etc/rc.conf with the line

sasl_saslauthd_flags="-a sasldb"

I also gave the following options to cyrus-imap in
/usr/local/etc/imapd.conf :

sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_sasldb_path: /usr/local/etc/sasldb2
sasl_saslauthd_path: /var/state/saslauthd

I use the shell user cyrus as the administrator, and added it to the
sasldb2 database, thus the sasldblistusers2 command gives me the output:

cyrus at my.host.name: userPassword

I have set these user's permissions on the following:

/var/imap 750 (cyrus:mail)
  (everything under is 700 or 600, and owned by cyrus:mail)
/usr/local/etc/imapd.conf 640 (cyrus:mail)
/usr/local/etc/cyrus.conf 644 (root:wheel)
/usr/local/etc/sasldb2 660 (cyrus:mail)
/usr/local/etc/sasldb2.db 660 (cyrus:mail)
/var/state/saslauthd/mux.accept 644 (cyrus:mail)
/var/state/saslauthd/mux.pid 644 (root:mail)
/var/state/saslauthd/mux=   socket (root:mail)

But whenever I try to authenticate, I get the same error message in
/var/log/auth.log as above. Here is my session result:

$ su cyrus
su-2.05b$ imtest localhost
S: * OK my.host.name Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.5 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE STARTTLS
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:

C: L01 LOGIN cyrus {7}
S: + go ahead