/var/imap/ Permission denied with RPMs

Schmehl, Paul L pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Aug 29 15:20:30 EDT 2002

Yes, you're missing something obvious.  From the install docs:
(install-configure.html)

 5. Create the configuration directory specified by the
"configdirectory" option in "imapd.conf." The configuration
       directory is similar in concept to the "/usr/lib/news" directory.
It stores information about the IMAP server as
       a whole.

       This document uses the configuration directory "/var/imap" in its
examples. This directory should be owned by the
       cyrus user and group and should not permit access to other users.

    cd /var
    mkdir imap
    chown cyrus imap
    chgrp mail imap
    chmod 750 imap

    6. Create the default partition directories specified in the
"/etc/imapd.conf" file.

       This document uses a default partition directory of
"/var/spool/imap" in the following example:

    cd /var/spool
    mkdir imap
    chown cyrus imap
    chgrp mail imap
    chmod 750 imap

       The partition directory is similar in concept to /var/spool/news.
It is where the mailboxes are stored. Unlike
       most netnews systems, Cyrus allows you to have more than one
partition. Do not use the string "news" as a
       partition name, as it is reserved for netnews.
    7. If you wish to use Sieve, and you didn't configure deliver to
look in home directories (see the imapd.conf man
       page), create the Sieve directory:

    cd /usr
    mkdir sieve
    chown cyrus sieve
    chgrp mail sieve
    chmod 750 sieve

    8. Change to the Cyrus user and use the tool "tools/mkimap" to
create the rest of the directories (subdirectories of
       the directories you just created).

    su cyrus
    tools/mkimap
    exit

       If Perl is not available, it should be easy (but time consuming)
to create these directories by hand.

If there is no /var/imap, then you've missed these steps.  Go back and
read the docs.  And if you compiled with -enable-fulldirhash use the
rehash script (in tools), not the mkimap script.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Supervisor, Support Services
University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/