My Take on Virtdomains so far

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Thu Aug 29 14:26:33 EDT 2002

Moving thread to SASL ML...

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Lawrence Greenfield wrote:
>    On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Rob Siemborski wrote:
>    > No.  Since LDAP can reentrantly call SASL, its not something we can really
>    > put inside the same process as the IMAP server.  Ideally, we'd have an
>
>    *Please* fix that issue... SASL is the type of lib we need to be reentrant,
>    because it is likely to be used in various layers concurrently...
>
> There are some things that need global state (for instance,
> dlopen()ing the modules modifies global state). It is impossible for

Hmm... The real problem is that when coupled to NSS modules, the application
really has absolutely no idea whatsoever about what the system is trying to
do.  Offloading this to the app simply won't be possible.

Global state that is entirely self-contained to SASL, *and* has no effect on
transations ongoing on paralell is not a problem.  So, a list of the
available modules would not cause trouble.

However, any sort of global state that is not completely self-contained to
SASL, such as the alloc model, is a killer.

  Henrique Holschuh