[Disksim-users] some questions about using disksim4.0

代成俊 dcjy at mail.ustc.edu.cn
Sun Mar 4 08:31:23 EST 2012

Thanks for your reply and wonderful explanation.

> > 1,What should I do to get the response time and hitting situation of per request?
> I obtained the response time by modifying the source code. When a
> request is serviced, disk_acctimestats() is called. I got the response
> time by subtracting the current timestamp (i.e. disksim->simtime) by
> the arrival time of the request. You may need to modify Disksim to
> carry the arrival time from the I/O driver down to the disk
>
> "hitting situation"? Do you mean the cache hit/miss?

I have tried it as your said steps, but failed. disk_acctimestats() is only
called 88733 times(100000 Requests total), and it only have access time,
where could I get the current timestamp? what does the meaning of "You
may need to modify Disksim to carry the arrival time from the I/O
driver down to the disk"? The arrival time should be the time arrival disk?

Overall I/O System Total Requests handled:    99997
Overall I/O System Requests per second:       65.231783
Overall I/O System Completely idle time:      534035.035583       0.348371
Overall I/O System Response time average:     33.897219
Overall I/O System Response time std.dev.:    34.852530
Overall I/O System Response time maximum:    335.193345

This is part of output result of my experiment,In my opinion, the
"Response time" here shoud be a time range from request arriving
subsystem to Service completion, is is right? How can I get this
response time for per request?

Could you sent me a copy of the disksim version(or source files)
which had been modified exactly to output the respnse time
for per request? Thank you very much.

Yes, I mean cache hit/miss.

> > 3,The ascii.trace in the valid folder has 100000 requests, but when I run disksim ascii.parv stdout ascii ascii.trace 0,
> > there was only 99993 requests were handled(I have modified the system topology and iomap),Why lost seven request?
> as I remember from Disksim 3.0, when the trace runs out,
> disksim->stop_sim is set to TRUE to stop the simulation, which is
> before all requests are serviced. I believe that's the reason.

I see, but what was the reason for the trace runs out? How can I avoid
this?

Best wishs.

ChengJun Dai.
2012-3-4