[Disksim-users] some questions about using disksim4.0

Yipkei Kwok ykwok2 at miners.utep.edu
Sun Mar 4 00:23:15 EST 2012

> 1,What should I do to get the response time and hitting situation of per request?
I obtained the response time by modifying the source code. When a
request is serviced, disk_acctimestats() is called. I got the response
time by subtracting the current timestamp (i.e. disksim->simtime) by
the arrival time of the request. You may need to modify Disksim to
carry the arrival time from the I/O driver down to the disk

"hitting situation"? Do you mean the cache hit/miss?

> 2,The default input format is a simple ASCII stream (or file),which is the unit of "Request arrival time" and
> "Request size",Seconds milliseconds or microseconds? KB or block?
ms
request size is in blocks of 512B/block

> 3,The ascii.trace in the valid folder has 100000 requests, but when I run disksim ascii.parv stdout ascii ascii.trace 0,
> there was only 99993 requests were handled(I have modified the system topology and iomap),Why lost seven request?
as I remember from Disksim 3.0, when the trace runs out,
disksim->stop_sim is set to TRUE to stop the simulation, which is
before all requests are serviced. I believe that's the reason.

Good luck

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 7:43 PM, 代成俊 <dcjy at mail.ustc.edu.cn> wrote:

> Dear Sir(Miss):
>     I am using disksim(V4.0). My work is to use disksim to simulate one disk(SEAGATE_ST32171W) subsystem.
> The system topology is just like this:
>
> # system topology
> topology disksim_iodriver driver0 [
>   disksim_bus bus0 [
>      disksim_ctlr ctlr0 [
>         disksim_bus bus1 [
>            disksim_disk disk0 []
>         ] # end of bus1
>      ] # end of ctlr0
>   ] # end of bus0
> ] # end of system topology
>
> My input is a a series of requests(Request arrival time,Device number,Block number,Request size,Request flags)
> in a ascii file. The output I want to get is the response time per request and the situation of per request
> hit cache, but the disksim only output the statistic information of all requests. so I want to consult some questions
>
> 1,What should I do to get the response time and hitting situation of per request?
>
> 2,The default input format is a simple ASCII stream (or file),which is the unit of "Request arrival time" and
> "Request size",Seconds milliseconds or microseconds? KB or block?
>
> 3,The ascii.trace in the valid folder has 100000 requests, but when I run disksim ascii.parv stdout ascii ascii.trace 0,
> there was only 99993 requests were handled(I have modified the system topology and iomap),Why lost seven request?
>
> Sorry for the my poor english,thank you.
>
> Best wishs.
>
> ChengJun Dai.
> 2012-3-4

Yipkei Kwok
Ph.D. Student
Research Assistant
HiPerSys Lab
Department of Computer Science
The University of Texas at El Paso
Phone: 915 747 6433 (O)
E-mail: ykwok2 at miners dot utep dot edu