Cyrus + Postfix + SASL

mkondrin at post.hppi.troitsk.ru mkondrin at hppi.troitsk.ru
Sun Jan 21 00:50:10 EST 2007

Tiron Adrian wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have already installed postfix using sasl.
>
> Saslauthd is ran like this:
>
> /usr/sbin/saslauthd -m /var/run/saslauthd -a shadow

First, you must be sure that postfix and imapd, which are usually run
under non-root accounts, have enough rights to read and write to
/var/run/saslauthd directory.
> The problem is that now i'm following the Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO and it says that in the init script for cyrus should be something like this:
> /usr/local/sbin/saslauthd -c -a pam& , so I should use the pam mechanism.

Both postfix and cyrus must be instructed to use saslauthd when checking
passwords. For postfix this is done with file /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf:

pwcheck_method: saslauthd
mech_list: plain login

For cyrus this is done by editing the file /etc/imapd.conf but the
options are named differently- sasl_pwcheck_method and sasl_mech_list.
How the saslauthd would check passwords depends on -a option and your
installation. Some linux distributions hasn't PAM so it would be safer
to use "-a shadow".