Windows Interop

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Thu Jan 11 18:22:40 EST 2007

Kai Blin wrote:
> On Thursday 11 January 2007 19:42, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>
>> Windows does have a SASL API.  It's layered on top of the SSPI, and
>> msdn documents the calls themselves.  I would assume that they work,
>> at least for email clients.
>>

> Are there any apps out there that use this at all? As far as I can tell, SSPI
> itself is only used by a handful of applications. The SASL api seems to be
> quite new, and used on server platforms only.
>

>> Anybody got any information or examples or pointers at all on using
>> the Windows API?  I don't find anything google'ing for the routine
>> names, except people as confused as we are.
>>

> If you can point me at a Windows app using this, I'll look at implementing
> this API in Wine. I'll be able to tell you a lot about it afterwards.

For a number of reasons (anyone following the embrace/extend/extinguish
testimony on groklaw?) even when a native Windows API exists, we've
chosen to only support portable APIs if the parallel exists. Thus, our
Windows builds of software use Cyrus libsasl and OpenSSL, not Windows
SSPI. We use OpenLDAP's libldap, not the we-claim-it's-LDAP-honest API
that Windows provides. In general I think this is the wiser course of
action because it lessens our support burden, among other things.

--
  -- Howard Chu