Windows Interop

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Jan 13 02:21:14 EST 2007

On Jan 11, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Howard Chu wrote:

> Kai Blin wrote:
>> On Thursday 11 January 2007 19:42, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>>
>>> Windows does have a SASL API.  It's layered on top of the SSPI, and
>>> msdn documents the calls themselves.  I would assume that they work,
>>> at least for email clients.
>>>

>> Are there any apps out there that use this at all? As far as I can
>> tell, SSPI itself is only used by a handful of applications. The
>> SASL api seems to be quite new, and used on server platforms only.
>>

>>> Anybody got any information or examples or pointers at all on using
>>> the Windows API?  I don't find anything google'ing for the routine
>>> names, except people as confused as we are.
>>>

>> If you can point me at a Windows app using this, I'll look at
>> implementing this API in Wine. I'll be able to tell you a lot
>> about it afterwards.
>>

> For a number of reasons (anyone following the embrace/extend/
> extinguish testimony on groklaw?) even when a native Windows API
> exists, we've chosen to only support portable APIs if the parallel
> exists. Thus, our Windows builds of software use Cyrus libsasl and
> OpenSSL, not Windows SSPI. We use OpenLDAP's libldap, not the we-
> claim-it's-LDAP-honest API that Windows provides. In general I
> think this is the wiser course of action because it lessens our
> support burden, among other things.
>
> --
>  -- Howard Chu
>  Chief Architect, Symas Corp.  http://www.symas.com
>  Director, Highland Sun        http://highlandsun.com/hyc
>  OpenLDAP Core Team            http://www.openldap.org/project/

Doesn't that make it harder to build your products?

In the Postgres case wouldn't that mean that you need to first build/
install/configure KfW, and Cyrus SASL before you could build Postgres
for a native Windows client?  That seems like a pretty tall order.  I
chose SASL instead of GSSAPI for this project because I (mistakenly?)
thought SASL was natively available on all the target platforms.
Granted I don't do Windows myself, but I didn't want to create those
kinds of problems.

For an open source project I would think the support burden of
requiring lots of ancillary installs would be significant.
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu