Saslauthd memory leak ?

Igor Brezac igor at ipass.net
Tue Oct 18 12:17:55 EDT 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Yann Rouillard wrote:

>> cmu developed ipc_doors because of solaris performance issues with unix
>> domain sockets.  I think you had to exceed 5 authentications per second
>> sustained in order to hit this problem.  Keep in mind this was the case
>> pre Solaris 9 and possibly before with much slower hardware.  I've never
>> hit this bug with Solaris 9 and above and I ran tests with 50
>> authentications+ per second sustained with multiple clients querying
>> saslauthd.
>
> Well I was surprised of this result since the ipc doors thread model
> seems superior,
> but I ran my tests several time with the same results.
> I don't think it comes from the machine, since the problem happened on a
> production machine with normal traffic, and on a test box with agressive
> concurrent authentication requests.
>
> I will switch to unix doors in production, but I would prefer to track
> down this problem. Any idea how I might do that ?

I would not waste time on this, but if you really want to know you will
need to use a memory profiler of your choice.  If you have solaris 10, you
can use libumem,
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/ahl/?anchor=solaris_10_top_11_20.  I
think there is libumem available for Solaris 9 as well.  I have also used
success: http://www.highlandsun.com/hyc/fncchk154.tgz with great success.

--
Igor