Cyrus 2.5.12 - 'reconstruct' - doesn't?

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Wed Mar 13 10:01:36 EDT 2019

On 3/13/19 8:35 AM, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Cyrus 2.5.12 server running under FreeBSD. The other day I
> found thousands of files in an old mailbox.
>
> The client can't see any of them - so I thought "Ok, I'll reconstruct
> the mailbox"
>
> Reconstruct runs, and returns instantly - but the client still can't
> see the files.
>
> As a last ditch "fix it or kill it" - I removed the cyrus.header and
> cyrus.index files from that folder.
>
> I expected reconstruct to rebuild them - based on the thousands of
> "xxxx." files in that folder - but it didn't. It just returns
> instantly, and no cyrus. files are created.
>
> The mailbox does exist (i.e. if I dump the mailbox database it is
> listed) - and clients can see the folder, just no messages in it.
>
> Any suggestion? - Is there any way to get reconstruct to be more
> chatty about what it's doing / not doing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Karl

Karl,
It would help if you told us which flags/arguments you're running
reconstruct with.  Also, deleting cyrus.header was probably not a good
idea.  If you want to recreate cyrus.index, remove that and run
reconstruct with the '-f' or '-x' flags, depending on the state of the
mailbox.  The cyrus.header file doesn't hold state, it's used to
distinguish Cyrus mailboxes from other directories.

However, what's probably going on here is that you have "|expunge_mode:|
delayed" set, and these hidden files are actually deleted/expunged, but
'expire' hasn't been run on the mailbox.

Cheers,
     -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight Inc.                              www.onlight.com
6525 W Bluemound Rd., Ste 24	          v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53213-4073	  f. 414.290.0335