Cyrus 2.5.12 - 'reconstruct' - doesn't?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Wed Mar 13 11:53:50 EDT 2019

--On 13 March 2019 at 09:01:36 -0500 Nic Bernstein <nic at onlight.com> wrote:

> Karl,
> It would help if you told us which flags/arguments you're running
> reconstruct with.

Fair point - at this stage, I think I've tried everything - certainly "-G",
"-R" - and just on it's own with no arguments, but the full 'path' to the
specific mailbox.

Sebastian has suggested a complete lack of "cyrus.*" files may result in
reconstruct ignoring the mailbox - which I'll test.

> Also, deleting cyrus.header was probably not a good
> idea.  If you want to recreate cyrus.index, remove that and run
> reconstruct with the '-f' or '-x' flags, depending on the state of the
> mailbox.  The cyrus.header file doesn't hold state, it's used to
> distinguish Cyrus mailboxes from other directories.

Well, I was kind of clutching at straws at that point - and I did have a
backup of the whole mailstore :)

> However, what's probably going on here is that you have "|expunge_mode:|
> delayed" set, and these hidden files are actually deleted/expunged, but
> 'expire' hasn't been run on the mailbox.

Yes - that could well be the case, but another reason for trying to get
"reconstruct" to work is that expire thinks there's nothing to do in that
mailbox either (and some of the files are years old).

A big part of the struggle is stuff line:

   reconstruct [blah]; echo $?
   0

And nothing logged anywhere (screen, or syslog)...

I'll try just touching the cyrus.* files and running it - I'm also going to
shut the server down out of hours (I'm pretty sure that mailbox is not open
- but with the server shutdown I'm sure it will be).

As I said, some of the files date back years - so just trying to get to a
point where either expire will sweep them away, or reconstruct will put
them back 'in the mailbox' so at least clients can see them...

I'll try the above suggestions and get back with any updates.

Thanks,

-Karl