Somewhat tangential... clients automatically detecting correct config settings

Dilyan Palauzov Dilyan.Palauzov at aegee.org
Mon Jun 11 08:00:31 EDT 2018

Hello,

apart from SRV DNS records for _imap._tcp and _submit._tcp
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6186#section-3), Thunderbird assumes,
that email local part != username, so there is the autoconfig stuff:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Thunderbird/Autoconfiguration

With it the client can extract from the email address not only the
servers and ports, but also the user name.
See also the linked pages.  This is used also by other clients, but I
cannot tell you which.

For Outlook there is different approach.  Automx
[https://github.com/sys4/automx/] tries to offer something, which both
Thunderbird and Outlook can use.

Have fun
   Dilian