Somewhat tangential... clients automatically detecting correct config settings
dwhite at olp.net
Sun Jun 10 20:06:53 EDT 2018
On 06/10/18 17:00 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>I was wondering how do popular clients (like Mail.app) detect what the settings should be for an email client when you initially enter the email address.
>Does anyone know how it tries to detect this stuff?
>I’m trying to set up my email server so that users don’t need to go through the painful manual configuration.
This is Thunderbird's approach:
* Try to guess the config, by:
* - guessing hostnames (pop3.<domain>, pop.<domain>, imap.<domain>,
* mail.<domain> etc.)
* - probing known ports (for IMAP, POP3 etc., with SSL, STARTTLS etc.)
* - opening a connection via the right protocol and checking the
* protocol-specific CAPABILITIES like that the server returns.
* Final verification is not done here, but in verifyConfig().
See: mailnews/base/prefs/content/accountcreation/guessConfig.js in the
More information about the Cyrus-devel