problem in configure with event-notification disabled

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Fri Apr 8 01:43:31 EDT 2016

Hi Anatoli,

> We've experimented with different configure options and found that
> when --disable-event-notification option is enabled, the configure
> script fails for other options with something like:
> configure: error: Need libxml-2.0 for http
> After some analysis we found that the dependencies detection
> initialization logic is placed inside the condition of event-
> notification option, so when it's disabled, the initialization is not
> performed and the detection of libraries/dependencies fails.
> With this email I attach a simple patch that places the event-
> notification condition after the libraries detection
> initialization logic.

Well spotted, thanks!  I assume you're using Cyrus 2.5.x?

configure is  generated by autoconf from configure.ac, so the correct
place to fix this is in configure.ac, at least on-going.

It looks like the problem is due to the PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro first
being invoked inside a bash conditional.  The problem, and its fix, is
discussed in section 3.4 here:
https://autotools.io/pkgconfig/pkg_check_modules.html

And, it looks like it's already fixed on master, so I'll backport the
fix to the 2.5 branch, and it will be included in the next release.

> I would like to seize the opportunity and ask you for a
> clarification.. Does the event notification component make any sense
> under normal use conditions (IMAP with email clients like Thunderbird
> and Outlook)? If I understand it correctly, it's only needed for some
> special types of notifications like for xmpp clients, debugging and
> similar, not for something implemented in normal IMAP clients, so it
> makes sense to disable it for production use. Am I right?

I don't know much about it myself -- can someone else field this
question please?

Cheers,

ellie